Monday, March 28, 2005

Sunday Blue Laws

Yesterday was Easter. KMart is purchasing Sears, or vice versa. Anyway, Sears was open yesterday, on Easter, for the first time ever because KMart, their parent company keeps Sunday hours. SHAME ON SEARS. Sears does not need to be open on Easter Sunday - for that matter, KMart, Walmart, Target, Kroger or any other retailer does not need to be open, either.

I hate to sound like an old fart, but back when I was a kid (in the 1970's), places weren't open on Sundays like they are today. My rant has nothing to do with religion or worshipping your God on the Sabbath. It everything to do with one day out of seven being designated as a "time out" day. I am writing this message on an Internet Blog which will be posted IMMEDIATELY after I complete it. We got cell phones, microwave ovens, On-Star in your car to give you directions. Don't get me wrong - I love modern conveniences like electricity, running water, and toilet paper. I sleep better at night knowing that I can go to Walmart at 2:00 a.m. and purchase a new 32 inch TV in case mine goes kaplooey.

Maybe the world would be a little nicer if we all slowed down a little. So, I'm adding Sears to my boycott list, along with major league baseball. I think Sears will be a temporary boycott, say 3-6 months.

I love technology. But tonight, for one night, turn off your TV. It will be there tomorrow - I promise. If the weather is nice, go outside and take a walk. Talk to your neighbors. Meet your neighbors if you don't know them. Read a book. Write in your journal. Play a board game. Juggle.

Or go outside in the street and play baseball until dark with an imaginary man on first (My friend Bratch wrote an excellent short story about summer days gone by and playing baseball in the street until your Mom hollered for you to come home called "Imaginary Man on First." You guys remember summer don't you? When you were about 9 or 10, it seemed liked it lasted for months and months, and you played ball, rode bikes, and played with fire when your parents weren't looking). Just do something that doesn't involve technology.

1 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger ... said...

Please don't boycott Sears....if you boycott anyone, boycott the companies that stay open all night long.....remember when businesses used to close at night as well????

Sears is an awesome company and they need as much support as they can get. They are in competition with some of most ruthless businesses out there (Walmart is evil in my book...too much Southpark I guess....haha). Sears still manages to give their customers a great product and their employees consideration and benefits that are better than most. They are also firm supporters of the troops without it being a political tool or advertising market strategy...

I understand where you are coming from though. People do need to slow down, smell the flowers, check out the fresh air and relax a little bit. I agree with that concept wholeheartedly. Now that the weather is getting nicer the incentive for me to get in the garden is overwhelming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home